Skip to Content

Changing Visa Status to F-1


If you are studying at Texas State on a visa status other than F-1 but would like to study full-time in a degree program, you may be eligible to change to F-1 visa status.

Before a Form I-20 can be created by the International Office; you must first be admitted to Texas State University for a program of study.  When you request your I-20 you must submit a copy of your passport and indicate which semester you would like your F-1 Student status to begin (we recommend choosing a semester which begins at least 3-5 months into the future).  Additionally, you must submit financial documents that show ability to support yourself for your program.  You can find the current Tuition and Fee Estimates, which will be listed on your Form I-20, on our website here:

  • This process only changes your status, i.e., the classification noted on your I-94 card. It will not change your visa in your passport. In fact, applying for a change of status in the U.S. may affect your ability to obtain a visa in the future. A visa is only needed if you leave the U.S. and want to reenter.

*Please note that the process for a Change of Status (COS) is taking longer to approve by USCIS.*

We highly recommend if you decide to change your status do so two semesters in advance before graduation. Avoid applying for COS your last semester.

To learn the process of Changing Status: download the Changing Status to F-1 Handout