Texas State University Logo
Banner Image
International Office
Texas State University
Thornton International House
601 University Dr.
San Marcos, TX 78666

Tel : (512) 245 7966
Fax: (512) 245 8264
adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size

Steps after Applying

Step 1: Apply & Gain Admission to Texas State.

Note: The services that the International Office provides normally begin after the admissions process is complete. The International Office does not handle admissions at Texas State and cannot answer admissions questions. If you have an admission question or need information, please visit the appropriate admissions office' link below:

To apply to Texas State, ALL students go through the APPLY TEXAS APPLICATION; the link is available on the Graduate College admissions website and the Undergraduate Admissions website. Fill out the International Application if you are out of the country and plan to enter primarily to attend school, or if you will be transferring in from another school on an F-1 Visa.

Step 2: Wait for your I-20, which admissions will mail you.


Step 3: When you receive your I-20, pay the $200 SEVIS fee

You must pay the I-901 SEVIS fee to activate your I-20/SEVIS record.

Save a copy of your I-901 SEVIS fee receipt for your Visa appointment.


Step 4: Complete the DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form)

You must complete the DS-160 in order to schedule a visa appointment. Learn about the DS-160 here.


Step 5: Make a Visa appointment at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate

Locate a U.S. Embassy/Consulate location in your country and apply for an F-1 visa. 


Step 6: Go through the Consular Interview

Tips on getting through the visa interview and successfully proving that you will return to your home country.


Step 7:  Get your Meningitis vaccination if you are under 22

It is now Texas Law for all university students under 22 to receive a meningitis vaccination before being allowed to enroll in any classes. The proof of vaccination must be processed in Catsweb and can take a few weeks, so get this vaccination a month in advance of your departure, if possible.   The information you need to know about the Meningitis Vaccination can be found on the Health Center Website:  http://www.healthcenter.txstate.edu/meningitis


Step 8:  Set up your Texas State Net ID

You must activate your Net ID before you can log into Catsweb and get your meningitis vaccination processed. You'll also want to get into Catsweb and check what holds you have on your record that might keep your from enrolling in classes and check your Texas State E-mail often for important notifications.


Step 9: Arrive in time to Check-In with the Texas State International Office and attend any other orientation sessions that you are required to.

All new F-1 Students

  • It is mandatory that you check-in with the International Office within 15 days of your arrival and give the International Office copies of your Passport & Visa upon arrival.
  • Also, make sure you follow the instructions regarding completion of the Assessment of Immigraiton Understanding, which will be e-mail to you shortly after your acceptance. Review the presentation What you need to know about F-1 Student Visa Status & how to maintain it, and take the assessment prior to arriving in the U.S.

Undergraduate Students:

  • Make sure you have reviewed and completed all the steps on UG Admission's "Next Steps" list.
  • Find On-Campus housing on the Residence Life website. Per University Policy, some first year undergraduates under a certain age must live on-campus.  Sign-up for break housing by e-mailing reslife@txstate.edu if you will arrive prior to the official date for halls to open.

Graduate Students:

Transfer Students:

If you already in F-1 status and are transferring to Texas State from another U.S. school, you MUST Transfer your SEVIS record by filling out a SEVIS TRANSFER-IN REQUEST FORM and have your former school complete it and return it to our office within 60 days of your last day attending classes at the prior school. Without doing this, Texas State will not be able to register your SEVIS record for the semester and you could fall out of status.

Step 10:  Learn about Housing.

When you know what date you'll be arriving, plan where you will stay temporarily and where you will live for the school year using the following information.  Review the Housing Comparison Chart that we have created to understand your options.

Expand or Collapse all.

--No Text Entered--

--No Text Entered--

Where to stay when you first arrive / Break Housing

Hotels:  If you cannot find temporary housing before orientation you may stay in a hotel, however this is not ideal because the hotels are not located within walking distance from the campus and are expensive. Rates for local hotels/motels can be found here

For those living in a Residence Hall:  Residence Halls allow students to move in a few days before the first day of classes...if you arrive before the halls officially open and you have a contract  with Residence Life already, you may request temporary housing in one of the halls that stay open during the breaks, for just $20 per night by emailing reslife@txstate.edu

For those living in Off-Campus Apartments: 
Off-campus apartments are all going to function differently. You should let them know that you need to be able to move in before or on the day you arrive so that you will have a place to stay already during orientation.  It may be possible to find an off-campus apartment that will let you move in the same day you find it, at our housing fair which will be the Friday prior to orientation, but we recommend we research the apartment complexes and try to make arrangements for one before you arrive.

Live in a Residence Hall (Undergraduates)

To live in a Residence Hall (this is not preferred by Graduate Students), you must sign up for a year-long contract through the Residence Life website.  Housing and Dining Information and Costs

Off-Campus Housing Information

  • Apartment Locating Services

Need help finding a good apartment? Below, you will find some local businesses that are willing to assist your hunt for the perfect place to live.  Students should schedule an appointment with these companies in order to find out more information about a student's housing possibilities. 

Apartment Locator Company


Phone Number

Hot Spots




Apartments To Go




Vance J. Elliot Realty




Great Locations




Apartment Experts





Answers to your other questions about...

-Travelling to Texas (what to bring, booking a flight, etc.)

-Arriving at the Port of Entry

-Getting Your Texas State E-mail, ID card / Paying Tuition / Purchasing Textbooks

-Getting in-state tuition based on residency

-Getting in-state tuition from a scholarship or assistantship

-Health Insurance & Fees

International Students are automatically charged the Health Insurance Fee and it is included in the tuition bill.  If you have your own comparable health insurance, you may be exempt from purchashing the university's health insurance but you must submit an insurance waiver by the deadline each semester. Learn more about the health insurance requirement and the waiver process here:  http://www.healthcenter.txstate.edu/international.html