Student Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) Portal
On March 23, 2018 SEVIS instituted a new reporting requirement for students on OPT and STEM-OPT that allows students to directly update, change, and review their contact and employment information.
The portal is accessible from both your mobile device and computer. Students with “Approved” OPT, where the start day has reached, will receive an email with instructions on creating a SEVP Portal account.
This email will come from firstname.lastname@example.org that contains an unique link which is only valid for 14 days. If you do not see the email, check your spam or junk mail folder.
The SEVP Portal will allow you to:
- View details about your post-completion or STEM OPT
- Report changes to your address, telephone and employer information
- View and update data on all your employers in one place
Any data updates you make in the portal will be sent directly to the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) for a DSO to review.
In preparation for this change, review the following:
- SEVP Portal Help
- SEVP Portal User Guide includes screenshots and step-by-step instructions for using the portal
- SEVP Portal Videos
- One-page reference sheet on the portal
Use of the portal is required for approved OPT and STEM-OPT students. OPT “requested” or “pending” students will receive an email for the SEVP portal once your OPT is approved.
If you have any questions about the SEVP Portal or need assistance, call the SEVP Response Center at 703-603-3400.
SEVP Portal Website: Click here
Remember: You can only login to the SEVP Portal after you have activated your account. Once your OPT is approved you will receive an email with an activation link. This link is only valid for 14 days.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Send an email to email@example.com
If you are on approved OPT or STEM-OPT you are required to use the SEVP Portal.
Submit a new OPT I-20 request here: New OPT I-20 Request
If you need assistance other than resetting your locked account, contact the SEVP Response Center at 703-603-3400.
- Once your OPT is approved you will receive an account creation email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Click on the activation link in the email to open the registration site.This link will only be active for 14 days.
- Use your SEVIS ID number, found in the upper left-hand corner of your I-20, on the initial registration page.
- You will be prompted to create a password for your SEVP portal account.
- Moving forward you will login in with your email and password.
Reminder: Students can only use teh link from their account creation email one time. If you are unable to start the registration process using the link provided, contact ISSS at email@example.com to request the account creation email to be sent again.
No, once you make updates or changes to your SEVP Portal account this is immediately sent to SEVIS where the DSO can review.
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), within the Department of Homeland Security requires that schools ensure the accuracy of certain information in SEVIS for all students on OPT. To comply with this requirement, those on OPT and STEM-OPT must report certain information using the SEVP Portal.
- Those on OPT are required to report changes in their address within 10 days of any move. The address reported must be a current location/living address and not a P.O. Box number.
- Those on OPT are also required to report employment immediately in order to avoid exceeding the 90 day limit on unemployment.