Skip to Content

Tax Assistance Resources

DSOs are not trained in the complexities of the US Tax Regulations.

Below you will find links and resources for preparation of US taxes.

Nonresident aliens temporarily present in the US as students, trainees, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors, and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income. 

If you have general questions regarding your taxes, contact the Payroll and Tax Compliance office at 512-245-2543. Note: Any specific tax situation that cannot be addressed by the Payroll and Tax Compliance Office will need to be discussed with a licensed tax professional.

2019 International Student & Scholar Tax Workshops 

Come and join us for one of the following tax workshops where you will be trained to use Glacier Tax Prep software designed for use by nonresident aliens:

Date Time

Friday, March 29, 2019

8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.

Friday, March 29, 2019

10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.

Monday, April 1, 2019

8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Venue: Computer Lab (RFM 5233) at Ingram School of Engineering 

Bring: Your passport, Visa, I-94, I-20 or DS-2019, bank information and any of the following tax forms that you received: IRS Form W-2, 1042-S and/or 1099-MISC. 

This page includes:

  • Important notes for nonresident alien students, scholars and honorarium recipients.
  • Useful publications and contacts.
For more information, the IRS (Internal Revenue Service) provides the following link for international students: Click Here

IMPORTANT: According to IRS regulations, international students and scholars who are considered nonresident aliens for tax purposes must file either a 1040-NR or a 1040-NR-EZ paper tax return.  The tax return must be signed and dated, and mailed to the IRS office indicated in the instructions.

The determination of residency status for tax purposes is made with the Substantial Presence Test administered by the Office of Payroll and Tax Compliance. To determine your status (Non-Resident or Resident) for taxes purposes contact Payroll and Tax Compliance Office. The office will be able to determine your current residency status in the U.S., and provide contact information for the IRS so that you may correctly file your tax return documents.

Tax Treaties are treaties between the U.S. and other countries to avoid double taxation. Citizens of tax treaty countries are either taxed at a reduced rate or exempt from U.S. income taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States.

Nonresident alien students, scholars and honorarium recipients who received a tax form from Texas State may login.
If you need password assistance, contact International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) by email.

Nonresident alien students, scholars and honorarium recipients may not use U.S. tax preparation software, such as TurboTax, to file their taxes it is intended for use by U.S. Citizens, Permanent Residents and Resident Aliens.