Skip to Content

Resources & FAQs

Expand or Collapse all.

  • For the latest information on travelling outside of the U.S. to countries other than your country of citizenship,as an F-1 student, go to

  • As an F-1 student, you are eligible to travel to Canada, Mexico or the contiguous islands and return back to the U.S. without a valid U.S. visa as long as you remain there for less than 30 days. (Do not give up your I-94 card on these short term trips unless you are flying and they require you to).

    Find out if you can enter a country without a visa by checking the website:  Mexico and Canada have distinct entry requirements, which must be investigated by F-1 students and their families just like any other country.

    Note on travel to Mexico:  The International Office recommends that you do not travel to Mexico, due to the dangerous events that are ongoing there.

  • If you are planning on applying for a visa extension of your F-1 visa at the U.S. embassy in Mexico or Canada, plan ahead and understand that it may take time to get the visa extended and you will not be able to re-enter the U.S. until it is completed. 

    Automatic revalidation is available only when the following conditions are met:

    22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d); 8 C.F.R. § 214.1(b)(1)

    • The F nonimmigrant is not a national of one of the countries identified as supporting terrorism in the Department of State's annual report to Congress entitled, "Patterns of Global Terrorism." These countries are currently identified as; Iran, Syria, Sudan, and Cuba.
    • The F nonimmigrant satisfies each of these conditions:
      • Is applying for readmission to the United States after an absence not exceeding 30 days solely in contiguous territory (Canada or Mexico) or adjacent islands in the Caribbean (other than Cuba).
      • Has maintained and intends to resume his or her F status and is reentering the United States prior to the expiration of the previously authorized stay;.
      • Presents a currently valid Form I-20 issued by the school he or she is authorized to attend and endorsed by the DSO for travel.
      • Is in possession of a valid passport.
      • Presents an unexpired Form I-94.
      • Does not require the authorization of temporary admission to the United States under section 212(d)(3) of the Act (a provision for waiver of inadmissibility).
      • Has not applied for a visa while abroad.