Responsibilities of Sponsors
Communicate with your prospective Exchange Visitor and obtain required information and documents from them.
It is recommended that this process begin at least three months before the anticipated arrival of the Exchange Visitor to the U.S.
The U.S. State Department has authorized an organization in Austin called Texas International Education Consortium (TIEC) to administer the J-1 Exchange Visitor program for Texas State. TIEC charges a fee of $495 to provide this service. This is a one-time fee and may be paid by the sponsor or scholar. TIEC, which is a vendor in SAP, will forward an invoice to the sponsoring department or they can bill the scholar who may pay by check, money order, or credit card. International Student and Scholar Services acts as intermediary between the sponsor and TIEC to facilitate the process and assist the sponsor with meeting Program requirements such as providing orientation and cultural activities for the scholar.
To invite your prospective Exchange Visitor, please submit the following required documents to International Student and Scholar Services at Texas State:
Documentation for Professor, Research Scholar, Short-term Scholar, Student Intern and
1. Confirmation of position secured by Faculty Records
Copy of email or memo of the position approval
2. A completed and signed TIEC J-1 Exchange Visitor Information Sheet
3. A copy of an invitation letter from the sponsor or department addressed to the scholar
4. Proof of current funding/financial support in which the total amount of funds available must be stated;
These original financial documents should guarantee the equivalent at least $1800 a month for living expenses; this information can be included in the invitation letter.
· A letter of support from the scholar’s financial sponsor such as home government, U.S. government, Texas State, or an international organization; and/or
· A bank statement or a letter from the scholar’s financial institution.
5. A copy
(scanned or faxed is fine) of the Exchange Visitor’s passport biometrics (identification page) including:
Name, picture, and expiration page(s) and any extension of validity pages; also copies of biometrics of spouse or dependents under the age of 21 who will accompany the Exchange Visitor, if any.
6. The scholar's curriculum vitae (CV) or résumé (not necessary for student categories);
7. Documentation of the scholar's English proficiency;
It is required that a method be identified that was used to determine that the
English level of the proposed J-1 Exchange Visitor is sufficient for the activities in which he or she will participate.
The following are suggested methods of determination provided by TIEC.
· Adequate scores on English proficiency tests such as IBT, IELTS, and TOEIC or other standardized tests in English such as GRE and GMAT
· Interview(s) with the scholar by faculty at your institution who determine that the scholar has sufficient English proficiency. This could be by, Skype, etc.
·Evidence from the scholar's professional experience and accomplishments that indicates a sufficient level of English proficiency, such as their publications written in English,number of courses taught in English or number of presentations given using English, etc.
8. Copies of previous DS-2019s for J-1/J-2 status issued by any other U.S. institutions (if applicable)
Only applicable if the Exchange Visitor has previously been in the U.S. in J-1 Exchange Visitor status
9. Dependents (if applicable)
Prospective J-1 Exchange Visitors with dependent(s) (J-2) should indicate whether or not they plan to have any family members accompany them. If so, they must complete the relevant section on the second page of the TIEC J-1 Exchange Visitor Information Sheet and supply copies of the passport biometrics pages for each dependent.
In addition to the $1800 per month for living expenses for the Exchange Visitor, proof of financial support is required for each J-2 Dependent.
(Minimum $450 per spouse and $300 per child per month)
International Student and Scholar Services and TIEC
After gathering the above required documents, please upload your documents below. Upon receipt of all of the documents, International Student and Scholar Services will forward them to TIEC in Austin. TIEC will produce a DS-2019 which is a form that will be used by your Exchange Visitor to apply for their J-1 Exchange Visitor visa.
TIEC can usually process DS-2019s and mail them to International Student and Scholar Services within one week of receipt of all required information.
You will be contacted when the DS-2019 is ready for pickup at International Student and Scholar Services. You will be responsible for sending the DS-2019 to your Exchange Visitor or you can request that TIEC FedEx it directly to the Exchange Visitor and bill you or the Exchange Visitor.