J-1 Arrival Orientation
As a J-1 Exchange Visitor you must complete the following as required by immigration regulations. Upon receiving your check-in documents ISSS will verify these documents and provide copies to TIEC. TIEC will validate your immigration record in SEVIS. Failure to submit the required check-in documents will result in automatic cancellation of your immigration record.
- Submit immigration check-in documents
- Review the online J-1 Orientation Presentation below
- Review the J-1 Exchange Visitor Orientation Guide
If you would like further information about Texas State University or have questions about J-1 regulations, schedule an appointment with ISSS by calling 512-245-7966.
Exchange Visitor Arrival Orientation
Federal law requires J-1 exchange visitors complete an arrival orientation upon entering the US. Exchange visitors and dependents at Texas State University are strongly encouraged to review the arrival orientation resources below, which focus on adjusting to the San Marcos and surrounding area community:
- Life and customs in the U.S.
- U.S. Money and Banking
- Public Transportation
- Parks and Recreation
- Medical Centers (contact your health insurance provider for recommended in-network providers)
- San Marcos Library and Texas State Alkek Library
- San Marcos Activity Center
- K-12 Schools: San Marcos, New Braunfels, Austin, and San Antonio
- Texas State University Police Department (UPD)
Cross Cultural Activities
Federal law requires that cross cultural activities be provided for J-1 exchange visitors and accompanying dependents. ISSS invites all exchange visitors and their dependents to stay connected and attend ISSS events.