The mission of the International Office is to support the comprehensive internationalization goals of Texas State University and assist the university in developing and maintaining an internationally diverse student body, faculty, and staff by:
- Serving as immigration and cultural advisors to international students and scholars; advocating on their behalf, and providing services and information that facilitate their cultural adjustment, social integration, retention and success;
- Assisting the university at large and international students, scholars, alumni, faculty and staff in particular, in complying with various governmental policies and regulations;
- Contributing to the research and teaching mission of the university by assisting with employment authorization for distinguished international scholars, faculty, and staff;
- Promoting global awareness and internationalization at the university by administering international programming through hosting and sponsoring internationally minded events.
Who is an international student?
An international student is a student enrolled in a U.S. academic program in a nonimmigrant visa classification.
- Common nonimmigrant visa classifications are: A-1, A-2, B-1, B-2, E-1, E-2, F-1, F-2, H-1, H-4, J-1, J-2, K-1, L-1, L-2, M-1, R-1, R-2, TN, and TD.
- F-1 Student is the most common nonimmigrant visa classification at Texas State with over 90% of international students in F-1 status.
- A student who has applied for or received an immigrant visa classification such as permanent residency or refugee or asylum status, or who is undocumented is not categorized as an international student.
An Overview of Our Services:
- Assist international students and academic departments with immigration processes and issues related to non-immigrant F-1 and J-1 students;
- Assist international faculty and staff and hiring departments with employment authorization issues;
- Provide mandatory F-1 Student Check-in and host International Student Resource Fair;
- Advise and advocate for international students and scholars;
- Plan and host programs for international students and scholars;
- Provide statistical reports
- For the complete list, click here.