STEM OPT Extension Application
Submit the following documents to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for initial processing of your new STEM OPT Extension I-20.
- Statement of Understanding and Reporting Responsibilities for STEM-OPT Extension
- Legal Advice and ISSS Advising Statement of Understanding
- Form I‐983 "Training Plan for STEM OPT Students". Complete all sections (Section 1 - 6) except Page 5 on the “Evaluation of Student Progress” and “Final Evaluation on Student Progress”. Page 5 is to be completed during the annual (12 month) and final (end of each employment or 24 month) reviews.
- Review the Department of Homeland Security - Study in the States website for
- Form I-983 Overview
- Form I-983 Instructions
- Employers Resources
Download the STEM OPT Extension Packet
The Form I-983 Training Plan is a key component of the 24-month STEM OPT extension. Before a DSO may recommend a 24-month STEM OPT extension, the student must:
- Work with the employer to fully complete the Form I-983 and obtain signatures from appropriate individuals in the employer's organization; and
- Submit the completed, signed form using the OPT STEM Extension Submission Form.
The DSO will review the Form I-983 to determine that it is "complete, signed, and addresses all program requirements." Form I-983 will be kept by ISSS. Do not mail this form to USCIS.
Note: Please review USCIS STEM OPT and Third Party Placements.
Form I-983 resources:
Include the following information in SECTION 1: STUDENT INFORMATION
- Name of School Recommending STEM OPT: Texas State University
- Name of School Where STEM Degree Was Earned: Texas State University (unless based on prior degree)
- SEVIS School Code of School Recommending STEM OPT (including 3-digit suffix):
Texas State University SNA214F00331000
San Marcos, TX
Round Rock Higher Education Center SNA214F00331001
Round Rock, TX
- Designated School Official (DSO) Name and Contact Information:
- Jon Ahlberg, PDSO, 512-245-7966
- Jonathan Tyner, DSO, 512-245-7966
- Student SEVIS ID Number: See your I-20
- STEM OPT Requested Period (mm-dd-yyyy): Starts the day after your OPT ends for 2 years
- Qualifying Major and Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) Code: Enter value from major code section in your I-20
- Level/Type of Qualifying Degree: (Bachelor's, Master's or PhD)
- Date Awarded (mm-dd-yyyy): Check transcript or degree date
- Based on Prior Degree? Check "Yes" if your STEM OPT participation is based on a previously-obtained STEM degree, and is not the same degree upon which your current post-completion OPT was granted. Check "No" if your STEM OPT participation is based on your most recently obtained degree, and that is the degree upon which your current post-completion OPT is based.
- Employment Authorization Number: Enter USCIS# from your EAD card.
Application Packet Checklist Mailed to USCIS
Include all documents according to this order:
- Completed Form I‐765 signed with original signature
- Staple the following to the top of your Form I-765:
- Check or money order for $410.00 made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
- 2 recent passport photos. Write your name and I‐94 number in pencil on the back of the photos. See photo guidelines here
- Completed Form G‐1145
- Copy of STEM OPT requested I-20 with signatures from DSO and student
- Copy of your degree (transcript or diploma) in a STEM field on the DHS STEM‐designated program list
- Copies of:
- Passport, visa, and most recent I‐94
- Current post-completion OPT EAD Card
Note: You do not mail the Form I-983 to USCIS. Form I-983 will be kept by ISSS.
All required documents must be received by USCIS no later than 30 days after the DSO updates SEVIS with the OPT recommendation.