STEM OPT Extension Application
Submit the following documents to International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) for initial processing of your new STEM OPT Extension I-20.
- Statement of Understanding and Reporting Responsibilities for STEM-OPT Extension
- Legal Advice and ISSS Advising Statement of Understanding
- Form I‐983 "Training Plan for STEM OPT Students". Complete all sections (Section 1 - 6) except Page 5 on the “Evaluation of Student Progress” and “Final Evaluation on Student Progress”. Page 5 is to be completed during the annual (12 month) and final (end of each employment or 24 month) reviews.
- Review the Department of Homeland Security - Study in the States website for
- Form I-983 Overview
- Form I-983 Instructions
- Employers Resources
Download the STEM OPT Extension Packet
The Form I-983 Training Plan is a key component of the 24-month STEM OPT extension. Before a DSO may recommend a 24-month STEM OPT extension, the student must:
- Work with the employer to fully complete the Form I-983 and obtain signatures from appropriate individuals in the employer's organization; and
- Submit the completed, signed form using the OPT STEM Extension Submission Form.
The DSO will review the Form I-983 to determine that it is "complete, signed, and addresses all program requirements." Form I-983 will be kept by ISSS. Do not mail this form to USCIS.
Note: Please review USCIS STEM OPT and Third Party Placements.
Form I-983 resources:
Include the following information in SECTION 1: STUDENT INFORMATION
- Name of School Recommending STEM OPT: Texas State University
- Name of School Where STEM Degree Was Earned: Texas State University (unless based on prior degree)
- SEVIS School Code of School Recommending STEM OPT (including 3-digit suffix):
Texas State University SNA214F00331000
San Marcos, TX
Round Rock Higher Education Center SNA214F00331001
Round Rock, TX
- Designated School Official (DSO) Name and Contact Information:
- Jon Ahlberg, PDSO, 512-245-7966
- Jonathan Tyner, DSO, 512-245-7966
- Student SEVIS ID Number: See your I-20
- STEM OPT Requested Period (mm-dd-yyyy): Starts the day after your OPT ends for 2 years
- Qualifying Major and Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) Code: Enter value from major code section in your I-20
- Level/Type of Qualifying Degree: (Bachelor's, Master's or PhD)
- Date Awarded (mm-dd-yyyy): Check transcript or degree date
- Based on Prior Degree? Check "Yes" if your STEM OPT participation is based on a previously-obtained STEM degree, and is not the same degree upon which your current post-completion OPT was granted. Check "No" if your STEM OPT participation is based on your most recently obtained degree, and that is the degree upon which your current post-completion OPT is based.
- Employment Authorization Number: Enter USCIS# from your EAD card.
Application Packet Checklist Mailed to USCIS
Include all documents according to this order:
- Completed Form G‐1145
- Completed Form I‐765 signed with original signature
- Staple the following to the top of your Form I-765:
- Check or money order for $410.00 made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
- 2 recent passport photos. Write your name and I‐94 number in pencil on the back of the photos. See photo guidelines here
- Copy of STEM OPT requested I-20 with signatures from DSO and student
- Copy of your degree (transcript or diploma) in a STEM field on the DHS STEM‐designated program list
- Copies of:
- Passport, visa, and most recent I‐94 and travel history.
- Current post-completion OPT EAD Card
Note: You do not mail the Form I-983 to USCIS. Form I-983 will be kept by ISSS.
All required documents must be received by USCIS no later than 30 days after the DSO updates SEVIS with the OPT recommendation.
Mailing STEM OPT application to USCIS
Once you receive your new STEM OPT requested I-20, mail to the appropriate USCIS Service Center.
If you live in Texas, mail your application packet directly to USCIS using to your preferred delivery method:
- For U.S. Postal Service (USPS): USCIS P.O. Box 660867 Dallas, TX 75266
- For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries: USCIS Attn: NFB AOS 2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business Suite 400 Lewisville, TX 75067
If you do not live in Texas, see “Where to File” https://www.uscis.gov/i-765.