Skip to Content

Financial Assistance

Please read through the provided financial assistance resources below prior to scheduling an appointment with an International Student Advisor.

Expand or Collapse all.
  • Search and apply for scholarships using a new university-wide scholarship application system. This system is currently only available for a limited of departments.

    Bobcat Online Scholarship System

  • There are a limited number of scholarships or grants that are available specifically for International Students. F-1 Students are not eligible for Financial Aid, however most competitive scholarships at Texas State may be awarded regardless of whether or not the student is a U.S. citizen or an F-1 student.

    Please visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships Website for information to apply for Texas State Scholarships.

    Also, check within your own departments for scholarships. There are many.

    Student Government Scholarship

    The Student Government scholarship is awarded by merit of leadership, community involvement and overall strength as a student at Texas State. Applications for the Student Government scholarship are open to all Texas State students who meet the criteria. The Student Government Scholarship was created to assist middle class students whose families struggle to pay for the demanding cost of higher education. The maximum individual scholarship award for current Texas State students continuing in the 2018-2019 academic year is $2,000. All eligible Texas State University students may apply. Scholarship link will be sent through email from the Student Body President through VPSA.

    Continuing Student Scholarships

    Texas State offers a variety of academic scholarships to continuing, certification and second baccalaureate students. These scholarships are awarded competitively and require the submission of a Continuing Scholarship Application via the Texas State Scholarship System online. Click here for more information.

    Good Neighbor Scholarship

    This scholarship is a 12 month award that provides tuition assistance to students from nations of the Western Hemisphere. The Good Neighbor Scholarship deadline is March 1, click here to apply.

    Antigua and Barbuda




    Belize (British Honduras)






    Costa Rica


    Dominican Republic


    El Salvador












    Saint Kitts & Nevis

    St. Lucia

    St. Vincent & the Grenadines


    Trinidad and Tobago






    Graduate Scholarships and Fellowships

    Apply for scholarships and fellowships for new and continuing graduate students at Texas State University. Click here for more information

    Graduate Funding Opportunities Database: Click here for more information

    Pan American Round Tables of Texas/ Florence Terry Griswold Scholarship Committee

    A $2,500 grant that assists female students from Pan American Countries:

    The Pan American Countries are:
    3 North American members (Canada, USA, Mexico);
    19 Caribbean (Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Vincent and The Grenadines, Aruba, Bermuda, Cuba, Grenada, Saint Lucia, Trinidad and Tobago, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, Dominica, Haiti, St. Kitts and Nevis, Virgin Islands);
    7 Central America Nations (Belize, Guatemala, Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua);
    12 South American members (Argentina, Chile, Guyana, Suriname, Bolivia, Colombia, Paraguay, Uruguay, Brasil, Ecuador, Peru, Venezuela)

    Undergraduate Research Fellowships (URF)

    Undergraduate Research Fellowships (URF) support undergraduate research and creative projects at Texas State University. Every semester the URF committee awards between 5 and 10 competitive scholarships of up to $1000 to students seeking funding for their projects. Fellowships are awarded for projects such as Honors theses and independent studies as well as for Capstone projects or for original work done under the umbrella of faculty-directed research.  Undergraduates of all majors are eligible. Membership in the Honors College is not required to apply.

    Click here to apply URF scholarship

    Wilson Latin American Research Funding

    • Five $1,000 scholarships for Latin American students
      • open to undergraduate or graduate of any major
    • Five $1,000 scholarships for Latin American students to come to Texas State to earn their Ph.D. in biology or geography

    CLICK HERE to apply for the Wilson Latin American Scholarship


  • An "On campus" employer is defined as an employer located on campus that is providing direct services to students.
    Summarized regulations for F-1 students on campus work:

    • You cannot work more than 20 hours while school is in session (fall and spring semesters).

    • You must be a full-time student (Undergraduate students 12 hours/Graduate students 9 hours) and in legal F-1 status

    • You can work full-time (over 20 hours) when school is not in session (i.e., spring break) and during annual vacation (summer).

    • University Policy (not immigration) limits Graduate Assistants to working only 75% if taking classes during the summer and also working.

    • You may work on campus only at the school listed on your I-20.

    • You may not work after your graduation date or completion of studies.

    Although no specific immigration related authorization for on-campus employment is required, you must remember that on-campus employment is contingent on maintaining your full-time student status. For example, if you drop below full-time hours without authorization from our office, your permission to work on-campus is immediately canceled. If you continue to work you are violating U.S. law and will become "unlawfully present" in the U.S. If you have any questions about this program, please make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor. 

    Finding an On-Campus job

    The best way to find an on-campus job is to go to the Career Services website, create a Job4Cats username and password and to create a profile.  Once you have created a profile, make sure to upload a current resume, an application (that you can download from the resources page on the Jobs4Cats website) and if possible your academic schedule.  Then search for job-postings that are located on campus. You cannot apply for Work-Study positions because those are for U.S. citizens who have been granted financial aid, you may apply for Regular Wage jobs. You can call Career Services at 512-245-2645 or stop by the Career Services office located on the 5th floor of the LBJ Student Center for assistance using Jobs4Cats or creating a resume.

    Getting a SSN after you have an on-campus job offer

    Work eligibility for International Students and what you need to apply for a Social Security Card (publication).

    F-1 students maintaining their F-1 status are eligible to work on campus, please see the instructions below on how to get a SSN card.

    If you have been offered a job on campus you will need to take the following forms to the Social Security Administration Office:  

    1. Your department/employer must write a letter requesting the International Office to write a letter on your behalf to the Social Security Administration.  The letter should be in the correct format, on your department's letterhead, and follow the job offer letter template.

    2. You will bring the department's job offer letter to the international office to request a status verification letter and confirm that your SEVIS record is registered and active in the immigration database. We will then create you the status of verification letter (if needed also a new I-20).

    3. With the hiring letter and status verification letter you will proceed to the Social Security Administration's office and you must take your immigration documents: I-20, passport, visa, and I-94.

    Getting to the Social Security Administration office:

    The Social Security Administration Office in San Marcos is located near the intersection of I-35 and Hwy 80
    Click here for a handout with instructions on how to use the city bus (CARTS) to the San Marcos SSA Office

    Visit our Tax & Payroll specialist with your SSN Receipt to get on university's payroll

    After securing a Social Security Receipt or Card, you must meet with the Nonresident Alien Tax Specialist to:

    - Determine your correct tax status for federal Income tax purposes- Resident Alien or Nonresident Alien

    - Complete your W-4 form- which is different than the form completed by U.S. citizens or U.S. Permanent Residents

    - Determine eligibility for possible Tax Treaty Benefits – possible reduction in the amount of federal income tax withheld from your paychecks.
    Payroll and Tax Compliance Office JCK 582 – 5th floor

    Call: (512) 245-2543


    Review the International Student Orientation Powerpoint by the Tax and Payroll compliance office.

    Know the regulations regarding F-1 Students working on campus

    8 CFR 214.2(f)(9)(i)

    (i) On-campus employment. On-campus employment must either be performed on the school's premises, (including on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus, such as the school bookstore or cafeteria), or at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the school. Employment with on-site commercial firms, such as a construction company building a school building, which do not provide direct student services is not deemed on-campus employment for the purposes of this paragraph. In the case of off-campus locations, the educational affiliation must be associated with the school's established curriculum or related to contractually funded research projects at the post-graduate level. In any event, the employment must be an integral part of the student's educational program. Employment authorized under this paragraph must not exceed 20 hours a week while school is in session, unless the Commissioner suspends the applicability of this limitation due to emergent circumstances, as determined by the Commissioner, by means of notice in the Federal Register, the student demonstrates to the DSO that the employment is necessary to avoid severe economic hardship resulting from the emergent circumstances, and the DSO notates the Form I-20 in accordance with the Federal Register document. An F-1 student may, however, work on campus full-time when school is not in session or during the annual vacation. A student who has been issued a Form I-20 A-B to begin a new program in accordance with the provision of 8 CFR 214.3(k) and who intends to enroll for the next regular academic year, term, or session at the institution which issued the Form I-20 A-B may continue on-campus employment incident to status. Otherwise, an F-1 student may not engage in on-campus employment after completing a course of study, except employment for practical training as authorized under paragraph (f)(10) of this section. An F-I student may engage in any on-campus employment authorized under this paragraph which will not displace United States residents. In the case of a transfer in SEVIS, the student may only engage in on-campus employment at the school having jurisdiction over the student's SEVIS record. Upon initial entry to begin a new course of study, an F-1 student may not begin on-campus employment more than 30 days prior to the actual start of classes.


  • CAFE is an innovative program to assist undergraduate Texas State students in learning how to successfully transition from the university to professional schools or enter the workforce. Our primary goal is bringing juniors and seniors to new levels of career readiness and financial awareness. Funded by a Title V grant, CAFE offers career readiness workshops, financial education events,  one-on-one financial coaching, personalized graduation preparation, and academic coaching.

  • American Association of University Women (AAUW) International Fellowships

    The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the nation’s leading voice promoting equity and education for women and girls. International Fellowships are awarded for full-time study or research in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Both graduate and postgraduate studies at accredited U.S. institutions are supported.

    Learn more about the International Fellowships

    P.E.O. International Peace Scholarship

    P.E.O. is an international organization that helps women attain their educational goals. The International Peace Scholarship was established in 1949 to provide scholarships to selected women from other countries for graduate study in the US or Canada. The maximum amount awarded to a student is$12,500. The deadline for application is December 1.

    Learn more about P.E.O.

    Review Scholarship flyer

    Review Scholarship Procedures

    Review Scholarship Information Card

    Apply for scholarship

    Click here to search over 3.7 million college Scholarships & Grants about $19 billion in financial aid to help you pay for college.


    Fastweb is the premier online resource when it comes to paying for and preparing for school. Fastweb has scholarships for every type of student from the high school freshmen to the returning adult.

    Fastweb has been around for over 20 years and have earned a reputation as a leading scholarship search provider. Fastwet not only find scholarships but offer our members information on financial aid, jobs and internships, student life and more.

  • For instructions on how to enroll in a payment plan, pay your installments, schedule payments or manually make payments against your billing account, please visit the Financial Aid and Scholarships website.

  • If you meet the eligibility requirements, you may apply for an Emergency Loan Plan to use as your down payment.  Once you have been approved for the loan, you must enroll in the Payment Plan using your Emergency Loan Plan as your down payment.

    Additional information about the Emergency Loan Plan can be found on the Emergency Loan Application page.

  • The Dean of Students Office offers limited funding for students in emergencies such as apartment fires or natural disasters. If you would like to inquire about these funds you may request a meeting with the Assistant Dean of Students for Student Emergency Services by calling (512) 245-2124 of visiting our office on the 5th floor of the LBJ Student Center. To complete the funding application, please use the online form here.

  • The purpose of the TPEG is to assist students who demonstrate significant financial need in extenuating circumstances. The TPEG is available to non-immigrant students in F-1 status who are enrolled full-time. The TPEG can only be awarded one-time.

    Eligibility Requirements

    1. Students must have been enrolled for one academic year as a degree seeking student at Texas State University and be in non-immigrant F-1 student status.

    2. Students must maintain valid status during the award semester.

    3. Students must be in good academic standing.

    4. Students may not be on probation or suspension.

    5. Students must be enrolled and attending full time at Texas State University and must maintain satisfactory academic progress. (Concurrently enrolled hours do not count toward the full-time hours needed to qualify for the grant).

    • Undergraduate students - Full time attendance is a minimum of 12 semester hours each fall and spring
    • Graduate students - Full time attendance is a minimum of 9 semester hours for each fall and spring

    Verification of grades and hours completed to determine academic progress will be made after the end of each long semester. This information determines a student's eligibility for the continuance of an award or the granting of a future TPEG award. Enrollment status will be audited after the university's official census date (12th class day for the long semesters and 4th class day for the summer sessions).

    6. Failure to maintain the conditions of the grant may be grounds for cancellation of the grant and loss of future eligibility.

    Important Note: The grant is NOT an academic competitive scholarship. Consequently, it does not provide a waiver of non-resident tuition.

    Please meet up with an international advisor before submitting the application, call 512-245-7966 to schedule an appointment with a DSO.

    TPEG Application

  • Pre-Completion OPT is work authorization that is granted to an F-1 student prior to the completion of her/his studies. Students who are granted pre-completion OPT must comply with all of these conditions:

    1. Part-time (20 hours a week or less) during the fall or spring semesters.

    2. Full or part-time during summer vacation if you are currently enrolled and intend to register for the following semester.

    3. Full-time during fall or spring if you have completed all coursework and are in the thesis, dissertation or comprehensive exams only phase of your degree.

    Please click here to learn more.

  • If other employment opportunities are not available or are otherwise insufficient, an eligible F-1 student may request off-campus employment work authorization based upon severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student's control. These circumstances may include loss of financial aid or on-campus employment without fault on the part of the student, substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate, inordinate increases in tuition and/or living costs, unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support, medical bills, or other substantial and unexpected expenses.

    Review more information on Severe Economic Hardship employment authorization here: