Severe Economic Hardship Employment Authorization
Severe Economic Hardship
If other employment opportunities are not available or are otherwise insufficient, an eligible F-1 student may request off-campus employment authorization based upon severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student's control. These circumstances may include:
- Loss of financial aid or on-campus employment without fault on the part of the student
- Substantial decrease in the relative value of the currency the student depends upon to pay expenses
- Inordinate increases in tuition and/or living costs
- Unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support
- Unexpectedly large medical bills
- Other substantial and unexpected expenses
Severe Economic Hardship Employment Authorization Eligibility:
- Must be recommended by a DSO who will update the recommendation in your SEVIS record.
- Must have been in F-1 status for at least one full academic year.
- Must be in good academic standing.
- Must be enrolled full-time or received an approved Reduced Course Load to be enrolled less than full-time.
- Must prove to USCIS that employment is necessary due to severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond her or his control that arose after obtaining F-1 status.
- Must demonstrate that the employment is necessary to avoid severe economic hardship due to unforeseen circumstances beyond her or his control and that on-campus employment is unavailable or otherwise insufficient to meet the needs that have arisen as a result of the unforeseen circumstances.
- Must demonstrate to the DSO that acceptance of employment will not interfere with the student's carrying a full course of study.
How to Apply for Severe Economic Hardship (SEH) Employment Authorization:
- Review the "Procedures for Applying for Severe Economic Hardship" below before scheduling an appointment with a DSO
- Review the "Regulations for Applying for Severe Economic Hardship"
- Submit documentation to the International Office, click button below.
- A DSO will review your documentation and if acceptable will contact you for an appointment. During the appointment the DSO will submit a recommendation for SEH employment authorization to SEVIS and create you a new I-20.