Skip to Content

On Campus Employment

F-1 student are allowed to work on-campus as long as they are maintaining F-1 Status.

An "On campus" employer is defined as an employer located on campus that is providing direct services to students.
Summarized regulations for F-1 students on campus work:

  • You cannot work more than 20 hours while school is in session (fall and spring semesters).

  • You must be a full-time student (Undergraduate students 12 hours/Graduate students 9 hours) and in legal F-1 status

  • You can work full-time (over 20 hours) when school is not in session (i.e., spring break) and during annual vacation (summer).

  • University Policy (not immigration) limits Graduate Assistants to working only 75% if taking classes during the summer and also working.

  • You may work on campus only at the school listed on your I-20.

  • You may not work after your graduation date or completion of studies.

Although no specific immigration related authorization for on-campus employment is required, you must remember that on-campus employment is contingent on maintaining your full-time student status. For example, if you drop below full-time hours without authorization from our office, your permission to work on-campus is immediately canceled. If you continue to work you are violating U.S. law and will become "unlawfully present" in the U.S. If you have any questions about this program, please make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor. 

Expand or Collapse all.
  • Step-by-step Instructions for Working On-Campus