Curricular Practical Training
Download the CPT Handout for further information and approval form
CPT approval process will take 3-5 business days
Regulations for F-1 students participating in Curricular Practical Training (CPT):
- CPT is defined by federal regulations as “an integral part of an established curriculum” related to your program of study.
- CPT can be approved for an internship, practicum, or in the case of graduate and doctoral students, thesis and dissertation courses taken for course credit related to research.
- Before applying for CPT, you must have been lawfully enrolled as a full-time student for at least one academic year, consecutive semesters (Fall & Spring). The only exception is graduate students who are required to begin a required practicum or internship immediately.
- CPT can be authorized for part-time employment (20 hours a week or less) or full-time employment (more than 20 hours a week).
- Students must be registered fulltime in classes while on CPT in Fall and Spring semesters. Unless it is your last semester, and are approved to be below hours (RCL).
- If you are in your last semester and the CPT course is not a required course to graduate, you MAY NOT engage in CPT. You must have a required course(s) to complete your program in your last semester.
- Authorization for CPT must be renewed each semester that you wish to participate.
- Once your program of study is completed all CPT must cease.
- WARNING: Students who accumulate 12 months of full-time CPT, are not eligible for Optional Practical Training, which is usually authorized after the completion of a degree program.
- Before you can begin CPT, an Internship Coordinator /Academic Advisor responsible for your program must complete a CPT form for the International Office confirming that the training will result in academic credit.
- Bring the following documents to the International Office (You may request an appointment with an International Advisor if you have further questions):
- Signed CPT form
- Job offer letter from the company who you will be working for
- Class Schedule showing class registration for an internship/practicum course